Tuesday, July 1

Work over working out

Last night I worked late and couldn't get to sleep. You know the feeling where you analyze everything you have to get done and wonder how you'll do it? The time just keeps slipping by and you think "6 hours of sleep"... "5 hours"... "4 hours"... and so on...

That was last night and this morning I woke up and thought... I have got to sleep or else I will be useless at work and it will all just get worse. I actually got up and got dressed (because I wanted to be at Jess and Tamara's first MC class). That's the other thing. I wasn't just skipping a workout, I was skipping a class. I stood in front of the mirror, dressed to go and had to convince myself that my body and brain needed to sleep.

Sleep = Recovery = Reduced Stress = Reduced Binges = List goes on and on...

Ultimately I knew that I was going to be at a full day planning offsite tomorrow (no laptops allowed) and absolutely had to be productive today. I actually thought about showering and going straight into work at 5 am but I also knew that would be counterproductive.

So back to sleep I went. I was so irritated though, thinking about choosing work over working out that I had to count my breathing to try to settle my mind. "But the girls will be there, but I have to miss two classes in mid July for work travel, but I need the workout"...

I finally had to give in to the fact that *sometimes* work will be busy and you have to make it a priority (too often and you have to make serious changes). But also, my good good friend Melissa's voice chimed into my head with her voice of reason "Aleks, how many times have you told me that a good night's sleep when needed is much better than a workout" and my mom "it's 80% diet, 20% exercise". Both true, I've been crashing by 2 pm most days for the last few weeks and today my body just spoke to me.

Enough blabbing... I have 113 unread emails to get to and FY09 POs to send through for 16 vendors. One foot in front of the other...

No comments: