So Aleks convinces me to come do a "speed workout" basically by promising to wear Pauly Bleekers outfit headband and all. As a fan of Pauly and his ever so short yellow shorts I was foolishly suckered into the workout. We decide to meet at 5:45 because I have a stupid 8am meeting that I have to be in for the next month or so....grr arrrggg...but I digress.
Anyways I got to the park at 5:30 since I am a horrible judge of time and have a huge fear of being late. Well the park was beautiful and I walked around for a bit looking for the track. The closest thing I could find was the soccer field which is located in the center of the park. When Aleks got there ( not wearing anything even remotely resembling Pauly's outfit :( ), she confirmed that indeed that was where we were going to run.
Major flaw in that plan: the field is surrounded by a six foot chain link fence that was locked. Now this combined with the fact that I was nervous about a "speed" work out was not a good thing. Speed is so relative. I like how Gimle the dwarf puts it in The Two Towers "Dwarfs are not made for speed except over short distances". I embrace this mantra. But Aleks is training for a marathon and it was different so I conceded. Of course when she sent out the original post it didn't mention that the workout was designed by her co-worker Colby who while seemingly nice is quite possibly nutters based on this workout...
Anyway back to the fence.
Aleks proposes some different options like driving to the high school or just running. But I'm determined so I suggest we hop the fence. I mean criminals do this all the time - with ease. I hand my stuff to Aleks grab the dewy fence and hoist my not so slim self over the top. Unlike men getting up is not my problem it was the going down that really sucked - hahahaha pun not intended, well maybe a little. Anyway, wow I cant concentrate today...ADHD.
At the top of the fence I'm trying to get my footing and that fence seriously was violating me in ways that is not appropriate for 5:45 in the morning unless you are James Mcavoy. But I get over and then Aleks gets over and we set to it. We are supposed to run and easy mile for warm up followed by a fast lap of 7:45min/mile pace followed by a recovery lap and then a two mile alternating fast - slow lap with fast = 8:30 min/mile pace. The whole thing is ended by a mile cool down run. Thank you Colby.
We do the mile and are coming around the far turn when both Aleks and I see the First Response Security patrol car come around the corner. The car circles the soccer field, I'm screaming at Aleks about being too young for prison and how I don't want to be bitch to some big girl named Bertha. The officer stops at the fence just as we reach the corner and asks "Did you guys jump the fence?" A smart ass by nature my first thought was "Nope, I walked right through it that's my superpower" but then I thought about Bertha and I calmly said "Yup we didn't know if we had to reserve it or when it opened". The security guard just told us to wait until 6am next time. Hell no, we're hard core and jumpin' the fence again.
So we run the rest of the speed drills - all way too fast. I think our first super fast lap we ran at a 6:55 pace and the other laps at an average of 8:00, which was us consciously saying we need to slow down. The last fast lap we ran balls out (which is a metaphor that doesn't really work for females) to the end of the lap. The last mile was run easily and we both felt great afterwards. Its definitely different from long and slow, but sometimes I'm more for intensity anyway :)
I'm going to change the ice pack I'm sitting on now. The fence was not my friend.
Wednesday, July 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment