I made my way from Indianapolis to Peterborough last night and although I'm technically not on vacation until next week it sure feels like vacation whenever I'm home. I couldn't sleep again last night, finally passed out around 12:30... I did however sleep in until 9:40 and had coffee ready for me when I woke up. :-) I love being home (for the first couple of days anyways).
Kirk and I headed to the gym at 1ish for a mid afternoon break from working. After doing the elliptical on Tuesday and taking yesterday off, my Achilles felt better and I decided on the speed workout today. This week was time to kick it up a little, each interval was faster and then the last fast mile had a quick sprint at the end. Kirk can say what he wants but he didn't mentioned that I almost died running this today.
1 mile warm-up
400 @ 6:45 pace
400 recovery
800 @ 7:20 pace
400 recovery
1 mile at 7:45 pace
800 recovery
800 @ 7:30 pace
400 recovery
400 @ 7:15 pace
400 recovery
1200 @ 8:15 pace
400 @ 7:45 pace
1 mile recovery
I still don't know what "comfortably hard" means. I asked Colby about it (more like I was bitching about all of the magazines making reference to it but not elaborating). Anyways, I told him it better mean that the marathon will seem like a breeze to which he replied "the marathon won't seem like a breeze, it will be a breeze".
Anyways, I'm reading more and more about this thing called running and EVERY article I read says that speed training is the best way to improve speed but also get your heart rate down during long runs. The articles are also all saying that each mile of our long runs have to be 45 seconds slower than our marathon pace goal. I totally get it, and it makes sense... it's just really hard. That means we need to run the long runs at 10:15-10:30 miles and we haven't seemed to be able to do it. I think part of us just want to finish our runs and the other part is worried that we have to train at marathon pace. I am going to think some more about this... and let it sink in.
Thursday, August 7
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Didn't even break a sweat... It was ridiculous... Like a robot on that damn treadmill.
Right, speed training is the only workout that makes me sweat more than Kirk. Disgusting, sweat through my clothes, wet hair and completely soak through a towel.
Post a Comment