I've never really had any aspirations to run a marathon. I have a very short attention span, so four plus hours doing one thing interests me very little. yet this weekend Aleks talked me into running her long run with her. Oh she was very sweet and gave me the out of only running half but I was like "what the hell" may as well.
We meet up with Jess around 8 and run 4 miles at which point we ran back to where the cars were parked, met up with Colby, and strapped on the running belts with water and goo ( my least fav thing on the planet). From their Colby who lives over that way had a course mapped in his head that would take us all the way around West Seattle, along Alki and up Fauntleroy. I was wearing my GPS as were Aleks and Colby but the overcast day pretty much made the devices obsolete for pacing.
I've never run that far. But the route was awesome, along the water with perfect weather. I ate it pretty bad at one point tripping over the sidewalk - what can I say I am grace embodied. Every four miles or so Aleks would declare it goo time and I would choke down a swallow of espresso flavor goo. Now if you have never tried goo before heed this warning - goo has the same consistency as semen, except you have to swallow no matter what. Even writing this I gag a little. But like clockwork Aleks would look over her shoulder and say "bottoms up" with a wicked smile.
At mile 13 we started up Fauntleroy the only significant hill in the run and even that felt good. The last mile I knew I was getting tired so I sped up, cuz in my mind if I'm tired I need to run faster so that I can be done more quickly. Colby was nice enough to run with me, at one point saying "OK now we are going to sprint the last bit" I was like "ya so that's what I'm doing", except I can't breathe so I do a lot of grunting and make pig sounds as I try to suck enough air into my lungs to finish. I don't even stop when we get back to the coffee shop I run straight in and gulp down water, two venti size glasses to be precise.
Honestly, I'm not sure if I could run it much faster than we did and if there were hills well who knows - but that run on that day was awesome.
Monday, August 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment