Monday, March 9

Is this site LIVE?

What is this, may we be getting some momentum back to our posting? I hope our silence hasn't scared Lori away and that she posts again! I have been busy in my new job, and by the time I get off work I have no desire to look at another computer screen... and yes, maybe I am looking at my Mexican. ;-)

Kirk, sounds like fantastic progress all around. I am stuck in a bit of a slump... haven't lost (or gained) any weight since November. Truth is, if you told me I could stay at this weight for the rest of my life I would sign the dotted line today. So far I've managed to stay at this weight, maintaining my workout regimen and still eating and drinking what I want (but in the RIGHT PORTIONS). No crazy diets.

But, because I really do want to lose another 5-6 lbs I gave up desserts/sweets for Lent. I'm such a good Catholic. Giving up something I have twice a day for the good of something Jesus did ages ago. I figure I'm living in sin now, this is the least I can do to redeem myself. By the way, when did it become ok to eat sweets twice a day, and add brie, flatbread, and olive tapenade to the staples column on the weekly grocery list? Still trying to figure out how that sneaked into the picture. If I could kick that habit and my wine habit which is spinning slightly out of control I could TOTALLY lose weight. TOTALLY... IF ONLY...

Two highlights to mention... for an entire month starting in early January Julio and I decided to go an entire month without eating out. Basically I wanted to save money (Suze Orman style) and took on her one month challenge. In 4 weeks, we ate out only once because we used a gift card we had received. Four weeks was tough because we had to pack breakfasts, lunches and dinners if we were heading skiing after work. But, combining that with other cost saving measures I'm undertaking I'm finally feeling like I'm getting my spending and credit card bills in check.

The other thing that is back is weight training. I started Jillian's "Making the Cut" workout with Allison and am continuing it with Jess. Doing it twice a week. I feel like I'm getting stronger, and I'm noticing an improvement in strength skiing as well.

Kirk, great job running! 10 km is a big milestone to hit. I finally tried the Gambler's run, which if you do the entire thing is a full 60 minute workout. I decided to shoot for 40 the first try (8 min warm up plus 32 cards). It was a great workout, really pushed me to run at an incline and it made the time go by faster. My base was a 5.0 speed and I think I'll be at that base for a little while still.

Anyways, here is the workout in case you'd like to toss it into your routine:
· You need a standard deck of playing cards (shuffled with jokers)
· 8 minute warm up at moderate level
· Set base level of slow jog/fast walk with 0% grade
· Take top card and make appropriate change based on rules below
· Take a card a minute and make change; if you burn out due to a deadly combo such as 10, Jack, King, 9, 7, King, etc. and need to return to base level move a card back to the original pile for each minute of extra recovery (pick a card at random and place into original stack randomly)
· If there is a grade change maintain the current speed, if it is a speed change maintain the current grade.
· YOU DON”T STACK SPEED OR GRADE INCREASES…so if your base speed is 6.0mph and you get a King go to 8.0, next minute you turn a Queen, you do not go to 9.5 you go 1.5 mph above you base speed which in this case would be 7.5mph

Number cards represent increase ½% grade above 0% (i.e. 5 =2.5%)
Advanced runners can use 1% for each number.
Ace = Back to base level (original speed & 0%)
King= +2.0 mph above base speed
Queen= +1.5 mph above base speed
Jack= +1.0 mph above base speed
Joker= +0.5mph above base speed

Long post but it's been a long time. Hope this inspires us to stay accountable to each other!

1 comment:

Kirk Gaskell said...

That's an interesting "game" for the treadmill. I will try it... Sometimes I need to vary it up... A 60 minute run can get a LITTLE boring when it is freezing outside.