Tuesday, October 7

DOMS

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It started yesterday mid-day... exactly 24 hours after the race. Please, not the stairs. Going down is much worse than going up. I am staying as far from stairs today as possible, which means I'm going to be confined to my condo working from home.

The wikipedia article above says that "eccentric contractions, such as downhill running, will result in the most severe DOMS". You think? Take a look at the Portland course profile after mile 22.

http://www.portlandmarathon.org/details_course.php

Is it possible to overdose on Advil without actually feeling any relief to your pain? I think I came dangerously close yesterday. It didn't matter how many of those suckers I popped at one time, it didn't seem to help any. The only thing that helped were the mini chocolate and coconut cupcakes Nancy had made and was kind enough to share with me. For a few blissful seconds, all was forgotten. The other times I was using every holy shit handle I could find to get up and down stairs, and to get on and off the toilets. I don't think the women in neighboring stalls appreciated my sound effects when going to the washroom and everyone kept giving me funny looks as I limped SLOWLY down the stairs. Honestly, I don't give a F. Someone find me some drugs that actually work!?!?!

Anyways, party is over. I let myself eat some cupcakes yesterday. Then I went out and had steak for dinner with Colby to celebrate the marathon. He let me out of the bet last night so I drank a bunch of wine. I weighed in at 152.8 this morning. A couple of pounds above my lowest weight in the last few weeks. I hope I'm still retaining some water from the run, but I'm not willing to test the theory. Back to the regime today. Back to no alcohol Monday to Thursday. Back to a normal diet. Back to portion control. And I hope, back to the gym tomorrow or Thursday. I would say tomorrow but the BF gets back from Mexico tonight and I'll probably sleep in with him and soak up as much quality time as I can before heading into work tomorrow morning.

On that note, I think I'll be blogging consistently for at least the next week because I seem to have topics springing to mind. I hope you don't get sick of me because I still want to talk about two things: what events I'm thinking of doing next and the impact of relationships on exercise and diet. Plus I'll post pictures from the race once they're available later this week.

MKG - The kid is damn cute and I'm glad that he and Ange are feeling better. I can't imagine how you could possibly have 50 lbs to lose still, nor can I imagine letting your hair grow until you hit the goal.

1 comment:

Kirk Gaskell said...

Tylenol ULTRA mixed with Advil Maximum strength... Then a beer.